Monday, September 7, 2015

3rd Time is a Charm

Rick and John - 13.3 mile run 9/5/15
I feel like I'm a man on a mission and I like my current position. The posts from 2012 will remain on this blog in case you want to review any of my experiences the last time I attempted this beast of a race. My first attempt at the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run took place in 2005 where I managed to eke out a finish less than 3 minutes ahead of the mandatory cutoff time. The second attempt in 2012 was much better, posting an improvement of more than 2 1/2 hours. There was much to be proud of; however, I still came up short of my original goal of running this race in under 24 hours. The 3rd attempt will occur on August 20, 2016 and I fully expect to finally conquer the original goal I set over 10 years ago. It won't be easy and I will try to take nothing for granted. I am preparing with a confidence and an attitude that is higher than ever before. On September 1, 2015, training officially commenced. I look forward to sharing this experience with you over the next 12 months and thank you in advance for any ideas, comments, and support you are willing to provide. One thing that I've learned in my life is that my motivation is fed by engagement with others - I guess that makes me an extrovert. So welcome to the journey! I thank you in advance for the benefits I will reap from you and I pray that my story and reflections will have a positive impact on your life. As they say in Leadville.... Train Hard, Train Long, and Train Up!

Workout Summary

Tuesday, Sept 1st - 10 stadium stairs, 1/2 mile jog, 25 squats, 1/2 mile jog, 10 stadium stairs, 1/2 mile jog, 25 squats, 1/2 mile jog, 10 stadium stairs, 1/2 mile jog, 25 squats - Billie, Curt, John

Wednesday, Sept 2nd - 6 mile run - Billie, Curt, John

Thursday, Sept 3rd - Stairs at Bettendorf, High School Football Stadium - 5 sets of 8, 2 sets of 5 - Mike, Jeremy, Billie, John

Saturday, Sept 5th - 13.3 mile run - Rick, John

Sunday, Sept 6th - 11 mile run - Rick, Andy, John

"You Are Better Than You Think You Are And You Can Do More Than You Think You Can!"'
- Ken Chlouber - founder of the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run

No comments: