Monday, June 4, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - June 4, 2012

75 days until the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...


Been off the blog a few days - partly from being busy and partly because I didn't do a whole lot of working out the last few days :o)

Friday morning Rick and I did a few sprints around the track before I played basketball

400 M  1 min 25 sec  200 M walk
400 M  1 min 17 sec  200 M walk
200 M  33 sec 100 M walk
200 M  34 sec 100 M walk
200 M  31 sec 100 M walk
Rick Fountain, Chad Uhde, Aaron Maurer, Jen Paul, John O'Brien, Jay Gates - John Byrne photographer
The Saturday morning 4:30 am crew listed above. We ran a good steady pace and made it out to the end of Indiana Avenue north of Interstate 80. I didn't have a watch but we must have had a really good negative split because we went longer than half the time out, walked for a bit before we started running, and finished several minutes before 6 a.m.  I originally planned to run a few more miles but changed my mind and left the group - Joe had a baseball game at 8 a.m. Other than Chad, everyone else ran some more.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/99420277/?new_route=1 - 9.8 miles - 1 hr 20 minutes

Josiah, John O, Jen, John B, Aaron, Chad, Jay, Ben, and Rick - Phil - photographer




Michelle Russell, Michael Byrne, and Jim Russell

This, in addition to Phil, and minus Chad and I, continued on for more miles. A very nice morning for a run.

The best part of the day took place on Saturday night. My son Michael entered the boy's division of the Live Uncommon Obstacle Race and finished in 4th place, one spot out of the money! However, he was selected as one of the essay winners for the Live Uncommon Essay Contest and has $1,000 to apply toward his studies at St. Ambrose University next fall. This ceremony took place after the Torchlight Parade, where several hundred people donned headlights as they walked and ran along the Mississippi River through Bettendorf and Davenport. I'm really proud of Michael - he has truly lived an Uncommon Life in a very good way and I'm very grateful to Live Uncommon for appreciating the good things he brings to this world. I decided to take off Sunday from running and subsequently Monday :o)

Tuesday morning I'll be back at the stairs at 4:30 a.m. at Bettendorf High School. I'm teaching class Tues - Friday beginning at 7 am so the workouts need to happen earlier this week.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: