Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - March 6, 2012

165 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...

Sauna room at the Bettendorf YMCA
I always like entering this room, not because it is 100 + degrees, rather because it signifies we have completed our workout for the day. It also feels good to sweat and stretch out in the hot sauna.

It is interesting how our attitudes are shaped by the events and experiences surrounding them. Even today, unpleasant feelings enter my head when I hear the song from Captain and Tenille "Do that to me one more time" because it always seemed to be the first song that went off on my alarm clock radio at 5:30 a.m. the winter we had 6:00 a.m. basketball practices when I was a freshman in high school.

Today was a bit different than normal. When I was talking to my friend Christian Robbins about treadmill workouts, he suggested that a good one to try was 60 minutes on the treadmill at incline of 6 and level 6. I had been wanting to try it and Rick said he was up for it, so we decided to give it a shot. Going into it I was wondering how long I'd be able to go. While the 6 incline wasn't too intimidating given that we had been working at inclines of 12-15, the thought of moving at a 10 minute mile pace at this incline for an hour straight seemed like a great challenge.

About 10 minutes into the workout, I began to feel more tired than when I had started and the leg muscles were feeling slightly challenged. Much to my surprise, the feeling stayed the same (didn't get any worse) for the remainder of the workout. We were contemplating how we might shift to something different at 30 minutes but as we approached the midpoint, we decided to just keep going. I believe our long weekend runs and hill training was great preparation for today's workout. For the last minute, we cranked up the speed to 7.0 and that didn't seem difficult at all. Actually we both commented that we felt like we could have continued at this pace for a while longer.

We finished the day with 2 sets of 8 at 180 lbs on the benchpress.

To say that today was easy would not be an accurate statement - our shirts were drenched in sweat and we did work hard; however, we had more energy remaining inside of us than we normally do at the end of our workouts. It was a good day!

For anyone interested we will be running stadium stairs at the Bettendorf High School football stadium at 5:30 a.m. tomorrow morning - we'd love to see you there. We usually run for close to an hour but feel free to come and go as you please.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: