Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - July 10, 2012

39 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run....

Tuesday morning workout - stairs at Bettendorf High School.  61 sets. Decent temperatures - still warm by the time we finished :o)

Todd, Gordon, Rick, Cheech, Lindsay
John, Gordon, Rick, Cheech, Lindsay
Ok, this is weird - both of these pictures were taken horizontally with the camera and they are both saved horizontally on my desktop. Why the one on the left will only post vertical is beyond my digital abilities! Sorry Todd, you are standing sideways. You can get a good look at the everyone else on the right.



 
Some friendly advice - READ this book! Whatever I might say cannot do justice to the incredible spirit of Louie Zamperini - a world class miler who served in the US Air Force as a bombardier, survived 46 days in shark infested waters in the South Pacific on a raft, and then endured several years in Japanese war camps where we was brutally beaten, starved, and treated most inhumanely. The human spirit is TRULY amazing - Louie is a living example of what a person is capable of handling.

One of our football players at St. Ambrose, Patrick Schmedeke, recommended I read this book and I'm disappointed in myself that it took me several months to finally read it but am I glad I did. I am so grateful to the men and women who defend and have defended our country - some of what they have endured is unspeakable.

In terms of my Leadville training, Louie's story has humbled me and has made me realize that whatever difficult training I have engaged in is literally nothing compared to what this man went through. My life will never be the same after having read this book. I will draw on Louie's experience to keep me grounded and help me work hard whenever I feel like I want to give up. Thank you Louie.

Below is a recent video of Louie being interviewed for a class at USC, his alma mater. It is preceded by a CBS special documenting highlights of his life. The video is over 2 hours long but well worth the view. Louie is 95 years old and he still has the energy of a man many years younger. The book shows a picture of Louie skateboarding down the street at 81 years old. Too many people use age as an excuse as to why they can't or won't do something - too young to start a business, too old to attempt a physical feat. Your 'mental' age is a reflection of your attitude - your physical age is much less important.







Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!


2 comments:

coffeechug said...

Love this post. Thanks for sharing the book to read. I will read this next. Always great to have a reminder about how amazing people are.

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Aaron,
You are absolutely correct - the world is full of incredible people!