Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - July 18, 2012

31 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...

Awesome day! I had the privilege of being the motivational speaker at the Western Fraternal Life Association meeting in Riverside, IA this morning. The audience, while I could tell was anxious to get on the golf course, was really great! I believe my talks usually go well and I think I hit the mark today. Following the talk I was approached by one of representatives from Michigan who is interested in having me speak there in the future - AWESOME!

One of the subjects I spoke about was determining your own 'definition of success' and how it is different for each of us. About 8 years ago a coach asked me to answer the question "What fires my jets?" in an attempt to learn what I am passionate about. I took a week to answer the question because I wanted to answer it to the best of my ability. I identified a few of my jets to be.....

Todd, John, Cheech, Curt, and Gordon (Rick photographer)
1. Running the Leadville 100 Mile Run
2. Raising children who have integrity, who are generous, and who exhibit compassion toward others
3. Teaching my students how to succeed in business 'the right way' - being profitable, honest AND ethical
4. Speaking to groups on success, leadership, goal setting, motivation, and working through adversity

Yesterday was a different story. I had what you might call 'an interview' for a speaking engagement this fall. The people I presented to were kind, fair, professional, and I would even add generous. In my opinion, I was horrible! I'm not sure why. I need to stop analyzing it too much and just accept I had a rough day. Fortunately I think they still want to work with me so I'll reload and re-polish and I am confident I'll have a day with them like I had this morning! God has been good to me!

Rick, John, Cheech, Curt, Gordon (Todd photographer)
Knocked out 62 sets of stairs - we felt the humidity! Starting to notice that it is getting darker earlier than in June. Bummer - was liking the earlier sunlight. We also saw a few runners on the track including Phil Pancrazio - Phil is as steady as the sunrise - seems like he is always around exercising - biking, running, taking pictures :o) - it's always good to see him.

We also saw Jake Beck, Tom Beck's son. I miss seeing Tom - he is the early morning front desk guy at the Y - always super positive and a joy to be around. Jake was doing some quick laps around the track - I assume he was training for the Bix. I see some of Tom's positive traits in his son. Another great job of parenting! At the end of the workout we did one set of 15 push ups. I had hoped that this number would entice everyone in the group but we only had 4 acceptances and 2 rejections :o)

Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: