Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - July 31, 2012

18 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run....

Wow! The end comes quickly! I believe I started this blog with 222 days until race day and now it is under 20 days! I am proud of how hard we have worked for the past 200 days and believe that it will keep us strong during the race. I plan to leave for Colorado in my Ford Explorer in the next few days and I know at that time it will feel like 'race time mode'. I have quite a bit to do before I go but am excited for the final phase of the pre-race journey.

John, Charly Erpelding, and Rick

Last night was special. Rick brought ice cream over to the Erpelding family and I had the privilege of meeting Charly - what a beautiful spirit and awesome little girl. I was so impressed with the closeness of Charly's family and extended family. They were so appreciative of us and so upbeat - it was wonderful to be a part of their family love and camaraderie. I would like to think that Rick and I have physically prepared ourselves to do well at Leadville, but I know I received an extra boost of motivation and inspiration last night and when I feel tired, I WILL be able to push harder. The kids also made signs to keep us going - which we will be able to see around mile 20, 40, 60, and 80 - supercool!
Rick Fountain, Todd Hornbuckle, Gordon Staley, Jay Gates, Kevin McCarthy, and Phil Pancrazio
Today was my last day at Bettendorf High School for stairs. 61 sets - good day. It was dark for awhile and quite humid. My friend Kevin McCarthy joined us today - he wanted to work primarily on the track. It was good to see him. Curt Johnston's ankle is still sore from the Bix so I didn't think we'd see him but he walked/jogged down to see us - that was pretty cool. Seeing all these guys working out at this early hour in the morning was inspiring to me and will give me extra motivation at Leadville.
Todd Hornbuckle, John Byrne, Gordon Staley, Jay Gates, Kevin McCarthy, and Phil Pancrazio
I'll do my best to keep posting and hopefully provide some beautiful pics from Colorado over the next couple weeks but if I'm without internet access or get sidetracked with my training, thank you in advance for your forgiveness.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: