Sunday, February 26, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - February 26, 2012

174 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run....

another friend - mp3 player
Mine looks a little different but it is similar to this. I had a really good run today - 31.65 miles in 5 hrs and 2 minutes of running. Rick Fountain ran the last 17.9 miles with me today - he wasn't feeling well early in the morning. Most friends would not run 17.9 miles if they weren't feeling well but if you know Rick, you wouldn't be surprised.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/71344292

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/71345422

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/71346950

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/71349122

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/71350438

I started at 4:38 am this morning, a little later than I had planned but nonetheless a good, early start. For the first 2 hrs and 22 minutes I listened to my mp3 player. I haven't really used this in the past because I've had great company to visit with. But since I was alone I thought I would enjoy some music while I was running - and I did! A mix of a lot of different types of music from upbeat rock - 'Already Gone' - Eagles and 'Working for the Weekend' - LoverBoy to softer pop 'September' - Earth, Wind & Fire and 'Top of the World' - Carpenters to Christian Music 'Voice of Truth' - Casting Crowns. I listened to many more songs than what I've listed - just wanted to give you a sampling. I love listening to 'Theme from Rocky' and 'Theme from Superman' - gives me a little extra kick. I will have my mp3 fully loaded at Leadville - it motiviates me to run faster and longer.

My legs did start feeling tired after about 12 miles but that is to be expected. I was happy with my pace and the ability to keep moving forward - I know I have to do this at Leadville - so I have a "no whining policy" during training. Body feels good, no injuries, legs feeling like they've run about 50 miles this weekend - which they did :o)  I'm taking tomorrow off and am very happy to have the rest.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

2 comments:

Julie Soucinek said...

Great job John! Wish I could have joined you at some point, have to get over this sinus infection..now on antibiotics. You are amazing! I thought about you all morning and knew you were hitting the streets hard. Well deserved rest tomorrow!

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Thanks Julie! Sorry you are feeling run down. Rest up - it will do your body good and you will come back stronger than ever :o) It was a good weekend for us - we were able to slug out a lot of miles!