Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - February 8, 2012

192 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...

Tom Beck - Bettendorf Y - Early morning  front desk man. Note two things here - first the smile on this man's face. Second, the time on the clock in the background - it is about 5:03 a.m. Normally these two things do not go together for human beings. Every so often in life you meet a person that you are so glad you've come to know - Tom is one of those people for me. . I've had the opportunity to talk to Tom before and after workouts and I am so grateful for his positive approach to people and his attitude toward life. Tom is a very faith filled person and that may well be his biggest secret weapon. He told me once that he loves working at the Y because he is inspired by all of the positive energy that people bring with them while they are working out and trying to improve themselves. I can see his point but to be honest, I find that he inspires me with his continued kindness and upbeat attitude. While the Y is supposed to open at 5 a.m. he shows up around 4 to open it up for those who want to get their workout in a little earlier. (I'm not one of those guys that shows up before 5 a.m. - that is early enough for me!) When I look back on all this training for Leadville, Tom will be one of those guys that I am going to credit with helping me along the way - he is a blessing to everyone who knows him.

Today's workout was on the stairs at the Bettendorf Footall Stadium. Rick and I did 62 trips up - 4 sets of 12 and 1 set of 14. All went well today - good workout!

Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: