Thursday, February 9, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - February 9, 2012

191 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...


Today was a great day! It has been a really good winter to train - much of it outside in weather that hasn't been too rough. I've had great people to train and share information with about strategy and nutrition and enjoy fellowship with. Today we were inside going at it on the treadmill. I had 2 workouts in mind and decided to let Rick choose. Workout #1 - Run for 60 minutes on the treadmill at Level 10 - 2 minutes on, 1 minute off. Workout #2 - Run for 60 minutes on the treadmill at Level 8.2 - no rest. These were two workouts I have been thinking we should do but since we could only do one today, we would do what Rick selected. I preferred Workout #1 - thinking that I would appreciate the rest period every two minutes. Rick may have read my mind - so he picked Workout #2!

A couple weeks ago we did run 60 consecutive minutes - 30 minutes at Level 7.9 and 30 minutes at Level 8.2 - with a 1 minute rest in between the two sets. It wasn't easy but we did it and I thought we should try to ratchet it up a bit. I wondered if I could get the entire 60 minutes at 8.2, but I knew for sure that I could do at least 30 minutes at this speed.

I settled into a rhythm and felt pretty focused most of the time. I tried to keep my arms relaxed, my breathing steady, and running in a steady pattern. Physically the hardest part should have been 55 - 60 minutes into the workout. Mentally it was the easiest part because I knew it was almost over and I felt great knowing that the workout was 90% complete. The hardest part for me occurs in the 10 - 25 minute range as I begin to fatigue yet realize I have much more than 50% left. 30 minutes is a magical point to hit - knowing we become ever so closer to the finish with each passing second. Rick and I distract ourselves by calculating how many strides we have completed, how many we have yet to complete, the percentage of the workout that has been completed, the percentage of the workout that we have yet to complete, the number of minutes we have completed, and how many minutes we have yet to complete. Chad Uhde usually comes by about 40 minutes into the workout after he has finished running outside with the Crazies and we make him talk to us for a few minutes to help pass more time. He probably wants to say hi and move on but we ask him questions and make him give us more details on anything he is willing to talk about. When tired on the treadmill we are pretty shameless in making people stay and talk to us for as long as they are willing :o)

After the treadmill workout we knocked out 2 benchpress sets of 12 at 160 lbs.

Upon completion I was happy to feel like I could have kept on going. I don't think I've felt like this before after a hard run for 60 minutes and I really liked that feeling! Level 8.2 equates to a 7:19 minute mile pace - I was pleased to hold this pace for 60 consecutive minutes. I just discovered this treadmill conversion chart which gives an equivalent 'road' speed based on the combination of treadmill speed and treadmill incline %.

http://www.hillrunner.com/training/tmillchart.php

At an incline of 0, which I used, the 7:19 pace translates to a 7:38 mile - bummer :o( That's okay - I'm getting better. I'm happy with today's run although it is a far cry from Christian's consecutive 60 minutes on the treadmill at Level 10 (Christian is on the right with the beard).



Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

2 comments:

udhawk44 said...

John,
Love talking to you guys after completing my run. Really enjoying seeing you guys get after your goals and helping the rest us realize we CAN too! Gretat work today!!!

Chad

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Thanks Chad. It helps more than you probably realize!