Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - January 3, 2012

228 days until 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run....

One of my New Year's resolutions is to learn to like getting up early in the morning to workout - I'm not there yet. Thank goodness for great workout partners like Rick Fountain to motivate me to get out of bed in the morning. I'm always glad after the workout - I guess I need to fast forward my mind when I'm still in bed. Anyway, I did rise at 4:40 a.m. to get over to meet Rick at the YMCA. Following the advice of my friend and fellow Leadville finisher John DeDoncker, we did an incline workout today - it was harder than I thought it would be.

39:30 on the treadmill
30 minutes - level 4.2, incline 12, on 50 seconds, off 10 seconds
rest 1 minute
5 minutes - level 4.2, incline 15, on 20 seconds, off 10 seconds
rest 1 minute
4 minutes 30 seconds - level 5.0, incline 15, on 30 seconds, off 15 seconds

We felt like racewalkers at level 5.0 - I don't think we could crank up the speed much higher without starting to run. It was kind of weird to do a workout without running but since there will be a lot of hiking and walking at Leadville, it was good to do this kind of workout.

On the right you can see the elevation profile of the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run. There are 4 major mountain climbs that take place at approximately 20, 45, 55, and 80 miles into the race. The big mountain in the middle is Hope Pass, known by some as Hopeless Pass. It is long and steep and takes about 2 hours to climb. Sugarloaf Mountain is especially difficult on the way back, partly do the steepness of the backside but mostly due to the fact that it occurs at 80 miles. The picture posted is a little small to read the numbers but the low is 9,200 feet and the high is 12,600 feet. Hope Pass is 12,600 feet high and Sugarloaf Mountain is 11,200 feet high.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: