Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - January 31, 2012

200 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...



I found this logo on Google images - it is for a business networking group - I just liked the logo and the illustration of the number 200

Only 200 days :o(  Bittersweet thought :o) :o(  We have worked hard to this point and all the training has put us so much closer to being ready for this monster. It has been and will continue to be satisfying to look back upon what we have accomplished. I'm getting excited to be in Leadville again. On the other hand, the more days we have to train, the more opportunities we have to become better prepared - it is comforting knowing that we have many days ahead to continue preparing - but like life, they keep ticking away. In addition, I must say I am really enjoying getting into better shape and spending time with many amazingly positive people along the way. 

Rested Thursday, Friday, Sunday and  Monday. Didn't intend to rest on Friday or Monday but had put my back against the wall in preparing to teach a class for the Joint Manufacturing and Technology Center for the US Army and needed the preparation time - so I canceled out on Rick on Friday AND Monday - I am worried he may fire me as his training partner. So....other than running 16 miles on Saturday I was pretty idle for the past 6 days or so. My legs felt really fresh this morning - maybe there is some wisdom in resting the body to help us work out at a higher level and avoid injury.

This morning's power walking workout was wonderful (thanks John DeDoncker) - arguably our best yet. We ratcheted it up from last Tuesday and I thought last Tuesday was a good one. Offering you a side by side comparision....

** gotta run to have lunch with my wife Joan! back to update in a little bit :o) **

I'm back - great lunch! Had a healthy sandwich and nice conversation with Joan

Time                         January 31st                           January 24th
0-30 min                   Level 4.0  Incline 12.0            Level 3.7  Incline 12.0
30-35 min                 Level 4.0  Incline 12.5            Level 3.8  Incline 12.0
35-40 min                 Level 4.0  Incline 13.0            Level 3.9  Incline 12.0
40-45 min                 Level 4.0  Incline 13.5            Level 4.0  Incline 12.0
45-50 min                 Level 4.1  Incline 13.5            Level 4.0  Incline 12.5
50-55 min                 Level 4.2  Incline 13.5            Level 4.0  Incline 13.0
55-60 min                 Level 4.3  Incline 13.5            Level 4.0  Incline 13.5

Bench Press - 2 sets of 12 at 155 lbs

The numbers don't look too dissimilar but those of you who have walked steep inclines for extended periods of time can appreciate the challenges of ratcheting up speed and incline. Today was a great move forward on the powerwalking workout. I'm especially proud that our difficulty increased on the back half of the workout and we did it without rest. Look out Hope Pass - we're coming to get you! 

Another memorable quote from Ken Chlouber (I'm not sure how many he has but this is a good one)
"If you make friends with pain at Leadville, you will never be lonely"

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: