Thursday, January 5, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - January 4, 2012


227 days until 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run ...
This is a picture of the "Dig Deep" band I've worn on my wrist since the Leadville Training Camp in 2005 - actually I've been through a couple of them since they eventually wear out or break. In order to make it through Leadville, the founder, Ken Chlouber, says that you have to "Dig Deep". He promises that there will be a number of times during the race when you feel like you have nothing left and want to throw in the towel but warns "Don't you quit! Reach down a little deeper - you have more inside of you." Ken is absolutely right. I've discovered much wisdom and comfort in these words and have found them to be applicable to other areas of life.  
This morning did a stair workout at the Bettendorf High School Football stadium. 60 sets of stairs. I always like it in the morning when it is pitch black starting out and gradually the earth lights up as the sun begins to light up the sky. It is pretty amazing at how much the earth brightens up even when the sun is still below the horizon - and how quickly it seems to go from dark to light.
Planning on a 6 hr run on Saturday and a 2 hr run on Sunday. Saturday's schedule will include leaving from my house at 4452 Stone Haven Drive in Bettendorf at 4:30 a.m. If you are interested in joining us I would ask you to be at my house by 4:25 a.m. The plan will be to loop back to the house at 6:30 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. for those who might be interested in 1 or 2 loops instead of all three. I need to be done by 11 a.m. - my son Thomas has a basketball game at noon. 
The Sunday run will be a quick :o) 2 hr run - tentatively scheduled for 7 - 9 a.m. - starting location to be determined later. If you want to join us Sunday, let me know so I can make sure to tell you where we will begin - probably from my house, Rick's house in LeClaire or the Bettendorf YMCA. 
Thanks for those who have commented on the blog - you are inspiring me already!
Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: