Sunday, January 15, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - January 15, 2012

216 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...

Excellent day today. 3 hour run covered 19.9 miles. My back was feeling pretty good. It still is sore at times but did not bother me at all during the run. Rick Fountain, Chad Uhde, and I ran this morning. Chad's farthest run to date was 13.1 miles - today he beat it by 6.8 miles!  Pretty awesome. Chad started a blog the other day if you want to check it out  http://onthepositivesideofthingsornot.blogspot.com/ He had been wondering if a marathon was possible for him - he finished today knowing that he will complete one soon. As a matter of fact I'm convinced if we had the time, he could have run his first marathon today. His quadriceps were tired but given the pace he was running, I know he could have done it. We incorporated some brief walks on steeper hills into our runs today - wise move. It kept us energized and enabled us to run negative splits on the return portion of our out and backs.

As I reflect back on our training the last 6 months, we really have progressed a long way. Today's 3 hr run seemed pretty easy to be honest. It used to be that this was an exhausting run but since we've become accustomed to running 4, 5, and 6 hr runs, 3 doesn't seem too bad by comparison. I'm slightly concerned about the 2nd toe on my left foot - it seems to be getting a little sore on the longer runs. I may start wrapping some gauze around this toe to see if it makes a difference.

Kudos to Julie Soucinek for posting a 3:44:07 time at the Houston Marathon this morning :o) Impressive given that she had been feeling ill the past week. Julie is a strong, steady runner and clocked in consistent 8:20 - 8:25 miles for the first 20 miles. Way to go Julie!

This is Matt "The Hammer" Carpenter, the 2005 Leadville Trail 100 Winner and world record holder with a phenomenal time of 15 hrs and 42 minutes - a record that has not been closely challenged in the last 7 years. I have no plans to even get close to what Matt has accomplished but I and many others are in utter amazement as to how fast he ran this course. According to an article written about Matt, he claims to have run the entire race. Part of me doubts this as there was a stack of boulders to climb over and a 25 foot wide, 4 ft high creek to cross; however, I'm sure he ran most of this race because he was in amazingly great shape and is naturally gifted - resting heart rate of 38 beats per minute and a VO max of 91 - higher than Lance Armstrong. If you want to read more about Matt, check out this link    http://www.skyrunner.com/story/2005lt100.htm  It is humbling and inspiring to read about people like Matt.
Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: