Sunday, January 22, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - January 22, 2012

209 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...


Rick Fountain

Most people define Superman as 6' 2" 225 lbs, faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive and can leap tall buildings with a single bound - that's in the comic books of course. The man pictured above is about as close as you can get outside of the comic books. I've had the privilege of knowing him for the past 15 years and have worked out with him regularly for almost 2 years. I can't think of another person I've met who is really good at so many things. Rick was an All-American linebacker on the St. Ambrose University football team in college. Another All-American basketball player at St. Ambrose told me Rick would have been an excellent college basketball player. I know this first hand as I've played basketball with and against him as well. The combination of strength, quickness, intelligence, game sense, work ethic, and endurance he possesses is rare indeed. In addition, he is a star at work with his company W.W. Grainger, a loyal friend, a great family man married to a wonderful wife Jeannie, and dad to four adoring children - Tristan, Tylar, Ashley, and Kayla. To top it off, he is the nicest, most polite, humblest, and kindest person you could ever imagine meeting. Rick is the perfect workout partner, as I've said in earlier posts. He will try anything, doesn't give up, and has incredible resolve - I'm certain that has much to do with all the success he has earned. Today was a significant training day and most appropriate that I spend some time writing about him.

Today's workout was running a second marathon following yesterday's marathon. Over the past two days we logged nearly 53 miles - more than we have ever run since starting Leadville 2012 training. Prior to September 1st the furthest Rick had ever run was about 11 miles. Over the past 5 months he has run 7 marathons in our training runs! I remember in mid September when we talked about him achieving the goal of running a half marathon. I knew in my mind that a marathon would follow shortly thereafter - which it did.

I have appreciated all the people who have worked out with me but Rick is there all the time regardless of weather, time of day or night, location, distance, or rigor of workout. Before he signed up for Leadville he had committed to doing all the workouts I was doing. I think it is hard enough knowing they are for the race I'm preparing for. He was doing the workouts just to be a friend and support me. I'm glad he did sign up for Leadville and predict he will be one of the few people who successfully finish Leadville on their first attempt.

Congratulations Rick on an admirable weekend of long distance running! And thanks for being a great workout partner.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP! 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words John. You are an amazaing gentleman and have inspired me from day one. I am blessed to have such a wonderful friend and realize that without you I would not have accomplished these tasks. Thank You again!

Rick

Barbara said...

John,
You have some fabulous friends who are incredible athletes like yourself.You are truly blessed. I admire your strength, determination and dedication to persevere and succeed.

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Barbara,
You are right, I have many great friends who make it a lot easier to keep working hard. Thank you.

Doug said...

He even looks like Superman doesn't he? You guys are doing great, keep it up.

Kim G said...

Cool! You inspire me. Make me want to get outside and run! Keep up the training....Leadville will be here before you know it...beautiful sunny mountain skies.....Best to you in your training. Kim

Kim G said...

Cool! You inspire me. Make me want to get outside and run! Keep up the training....Leadville will be here before you know it...beautiful sunny mountain skies.....Best to you in your training. Kim

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Yeah you're right Doug - he does look like Superman.

Journey to 2012 Leadville - Byrne said...

Thanks Kim. I feel like I'm being inspired by many others with this training. Thanks for following the blog - we'll keep working hard trying to get well prepared for Leadville.