Thursday, April 19, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - April 18, 2012

123 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 mile run....

Rick Fountain, Gordon Schneider, Todd Hornbuckle, Gordon Staley - 5:15 a.m.
Cool story about today. Gordon Staley had already joined us a few times already at the track for some running and doing stairs and he has become a regular. The night before (Tuesday) we were eating pizza at Happy Joe's after my daughter Katie's track meet. Todd Hornbuckle's daughter (Madi) and Gordon Schneider's daughter (Annette) are also on the track team so we were all together - it was also Annette's birthday - Happy Birthday Annette! So as we were finishing up, I told Todd that Gordon Staley was picking me up at 5:10 the next morning to go run stairs and asked him if he wanted to go. The initial response was something to the effect that the bed sounded more appealing than the track. I think I pestered him a bit more and probably lied about how much fun it would be. I told him Gordon was coming by at 5:10 to my house and could swing by his house at 5:08. His wife Stacy gave me some support to and before I knew it, out of his mouth came the words "I'm In!"

The next obvious task was to turn my attention across the table to Gordon Schneider. Thinking that the magic phrase Todd uttered would work, I said, "Gordon, are you In?" He smiled and said, "I'll let you know if I decide to go". As I've been running for awhile now, I've come to know that the alternative definition of this phrase is "No way". I then offered that we would pick him up at 5:12. About 20 seconds later, Gordon said "I'm In!". 2 for 2 - I should have purchased a lottery ticket that morning!

When we picked up Gordon Schneider, Gordon Staley remarked, I've never had another friend named Gordon. Gordon Schneider replied, "Me neither". I thought that was funny. I also can't think of any other people I know named Gordon.

I was pretty excited to have 3 more of my friends join Rick and I at the track. We did have a good time - can't you see the smiles in the dark picture above!

Rick and I did 61 sets of stairs and 5 sets of pushups (30, 25, 20, 15, 10) for a total of 100. Gordon, Todd, and Gordon did a combination of stairs and running around the track. Rising early in the morning isn't easy but I think we are all glad we did it and the camaraderie of working out with others is quite inspiring. We've been experiencing it on our weekend runs and now it seems to be extending to some workouts during the week.

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!

No comments: