Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - April 3, 2012

138 days until the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run ....

Sorry for being so late with this post. Something called life sort of got in the way :o) I had some good runs with some great people on Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Monday was a day off - today (Tuesday) Rick and I ran the stairs at the Jumer's Tower in Bettendorf. Today's workout was determined by how many times we could climb the 9 story Jumer's Tower in 1 hour - we made it up 25 times (225 floors) - I thought that was quite good. We were huffing and puffing after the first time up but it really didn't seem to get much worse - just tired on top of tired. The trips up take roughly a minute - it is a tough minute but it doesn't last forever. I found myself thinking about running around a track so I suppose this was somewhat like running a bunch of 300 meter dashes. Of course we weren't sprinting but we were trying to move at a good pace. This was a 25% improvement over last week's performance. We'll try to work up to the level of the Honorable "Stair Master" Thomas Waterman, Esq. Tom regularly knocks out 33 1/3 trips up the Jumer Tower stairs (300 floors) so we have a bit to go before we are in his league but we are closing in on it :o)  It was another good day!

March 31st - Saturday's run - pictures forthcoming....- sorry for the blurriness - didn't think my hands were unsteady at the time. Great day - knocked out about 23 miles - a little cold - at one time we had about 25 runners running the last of 3 legs. We started out with 4 of us at 4:30 a.m. I helped the group get off to a 20 minute late start because my phone volume was set on silent - it went off but of course I didn't hear it. I was disappointed that I let the group down - I'm the one always telling people they need to arrive 5 minutes early before our scheduled run time. Fortunately I texted Rick about 4:39 a.m. and he had his phone nearby - he said they would wait for me. Our first leg was a little over an hour and we ran a good pace.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/80014249


The second leg we did get close to 90 minutes in and our group grew from 4 to 12. Had some nice conversation, meeting some new people and talking about their running history and goals - it was quite inspiring.


On the 3rd leg we dropped a few but picked up another bunch of people, primarily Jane Wheeler's track and cross country girls from Pleasant Valley. They looked cold but warmed up shortly after we started moving.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/80014765


April 1st

Rick and I wanted to get another back to back weekend in. Today we ran about 18 miles. We were out fairly late Saturday night at the Annual Bulldog Bash - fundraiser dinner/party for the Bettendorf Booster Club. Had a blast seeing many people we like - just made it a little more challenging to get up in the morning - so we didn't start until 6:30 am. The legs were feeling tired but after the first mile they started to loosen up.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/80014943

Our good friend Merredyth Beno joined us on this second loop where we knocked out another 3.1 miles. I forgot to snap a photo so Rick says this means she has to come back!
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/80015123

The final leg of our run today went very well. Considering we were approaching 41 miles for the weekend, we finished very strong for the day. We oontinue to battle through these long runs and I like our chances for success in Leadville this summer!

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!


http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/80015327

No comments: