Friday, April 20, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - April 20, 2012

121 days until the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...


Today was a speedwork day and basketball - a fun day - I love the game of basketball! Gordon Staley and Gordon Schneider joined Rick Fountain and I at the track at 5:15 a.m. Gordon Staley picked me up at 5:08 and Gordon Schneider at 5:10. There is something powerful about determining the night before that someone is going to pick you up for a workout - it means that you won't back out. I wasn't planning on backing out but this sort of seals the deal. I could also say I do it for environmental purposes (i.e. saving the environment) but the bigger reason is accountability and camaraderie.

I also learned that before Gordon picked me up, he had already been to the store to pick up donuts to take home to his family - WOW!

So once we met Rick at the track, we did a half mile warm up jog and ran 4 400's.

400 M    90 seconds   200 M walk
400 M    86 seconds   200 M walk
400 M    82 seconds   200 M walk
400 M    80 seconds   off to play hoops - awesome day!

Afterwards the Gordons joined me for some basketball - we played on the same team and won all our games :o)

Tomorrow at 4:30 a.m. - meeting at Crow Creek Park in Bettendorf w/ a refuel stop at 6:00 a.m.

message from Dave Jessen ....

Hey John, let everybody know the Happy Joes group is doing their 20 miler Sat am starting 7. I will have water & Gatorade set up (approx 6;45) at roundabout and BP gas at 18th&53rd. You guys are certainly welcome to partake!
Have a good run!
-Dave

Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: