Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - May 16, 2012

94 days until the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...

Rick Fountain and John Byrne
Tough, tough workout today. 32 trips up Jumer's Tower - the most we've ever completed. 288 stories of stairs in about 1 hr 20 min. Rick and I weren't sure how many we would do today but at the beginning Rick said "at least 30". Once we hit 30 I was ready to call it a day. Rick asked what our previous high mark was, I replied "31" - he said "let's do 32". How could I argue with that? So we did a few more.  Floors 7-9 on each climb is tough but we kept plugging away. I know this type of training will be of great value when we are scaling Hope Pass and Sugarloaf Mountain during Leadville. We will benefit from the climbing as well as the experience of pressing on when we are tired. Sometimes I wonder which workouts are our hardest. I'm not sure what to say - they all seem hard to me. The Saturday runs are long but we aren't huffing and puffing. Wednesdays at Jumer's, we are huffing and puffing a LOT at the top of the stairs but we are done in about 1 hr 15 minutes. I think it is good to mix up all these workouts - keeps the body from getting too comfortable :o)

Looking ahead to the weekend, there will be a Saturday run beginning at 4:30 am at Crow Creek Park on Devil's Glen Road. A 2nd loop will take place at 6 a.m. for those of you who like to sleep in :o). At this time I do not know whether there will be a 3rd loop beginning at 7:30 a.m.

Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: