Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - May 9, 2012

101 days until the Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run...



Amazing to think the training days are trickling away :o)   :o(

My son Michael and I after a 3 mile run! - photographer Joseph Byrne, my 10 year old son
My son Michael asked me after school if I wanted to go for a run with him - how could I say no? It was beautiful weather, although we were sweating beads half way into the run. Michael is planning to run on the cross country team at St. Ambrose this fall and has a slate of summer conditioning workouts he will be completing - I hope to do many of them with him. It sure was a lot easier running with him when he was smaller! We ran a good pace and we really pushed each other. I didn't wear a watch to time it but it felt like we were running 6:30 - 7:00 minute mile pace for about 3.1 miles. I'm counting my blessings that I can still run with him. At some point in the future (we'll see how soon) I probably won't be able to hang with him anymore - a bittersweet thought. I really want to keep running with him but I'm thrilled that he continues to improve :o)

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/90972237/?new_route=1  - 3.1 miles

Jay and Rick on the 'beautiful stairs' leading up from the lower level - not the gray, dingy, enclosed stairs we run :o) - they still look fresh - we had not started yet!

An empty Doritos bag taunting us on our trips up the Tower - I think it was there last week too!

Tough workout! Jumer's Tower is always a killer on the quads - all the more reason to do this weekly. Met at 5 a.m. at Jumer's. Rick Fountain and Jay Gates starred in this week's episode of "How much can your legs take?" - a very long, boring, show that involves continuous climbing up the same two sets of stairs 9 stories high and then riding the elevator back down. We take a quick breather after every 5 sets to grab a drink of water or Rick's high octane lemonade/juice/gatorade. If you aren't fully awake when you take a sip of this stuff you definitely will be afterwards. The strong flavor is good, you just have to be ready for it! Rick needed to go at 6:15 so we agreed we would get in whatever we could - which ended up being 27 trips up the tower.  Actually 27 plus 16 steps - we took the last elevator trip to the lower level instead of the first level and had to climb back up from below. If we had more time I think we would have been on track to hit a new high of 34 - maybe next week...

In some ways this is the hardest workout of the week. Jay said he dreads it on Tuesday night and loves it around 6:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning after we are finished. - LOL.

Tentatively looking at a 4:30 a.m. Saturday morning run but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to run as it's a busy weekend. Joan is out of town, baseball tournament, 2 soccer tournaments, and probably a few other things I'll learn about later :o)

Until my next post, have a great day!  DIG DEEP!

No comments: