Saturday, May 5, 2012

Journey to Leadville - Byrne - May 5, 2012

105 days until the 2012 Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run....

John B, Jay G, Katie G, Phil P, Chirag, Chad U, Jane W, Lindsay C, Michelle R, Jen P, Rick F
Picture forthcoming of the 6 am crew compliments of Jen Paul's camera and the photography skills of Mr. Jim Russell... (Jay G, Phil P, Chad U, Jane W, Jen P, Michelle R, Lindsay C, Chirag, Katie G, Rick F, and John B). I do not have an last name initial for Chirag but is that really necessary? He's the only Chirag I've ever met :o)

Awesome, awesome morning for a run! Just Rick and I this morning at 4:30 a.m. We've become a little spoiled in having some others join us for the first leg but today it was just the two of us. I thoroughly enjoyed my visit with Rick - what a smart, humble, and nice person to talk to! On the way out we were feeling pretty good. It didn't feel like we were pushing it but by the time we were 45 minutes out, we only had a few hundred yards until Wells Ferry Rd so we decided to go for it! Ended up running 47 minutes on the way out and 44 minutes on the back for another negative split! We did walk a few times on some of the hills and maintained a total speed just as good as the speed when we run with others and do not talk brief walk breaks - interesting to think about. This stretch was 10 miles.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/89677491 - 10 miles - 1 hr 31 minutes

At 6 am there were 9 others awaiting us at Crow Creek Park - it is one of the coolest sights to see when there are a bunch of cars and a bunch of people waiting to run the second stretch with us - thank you everyone! We had a great run going south and onto the bike path for a total of 8 miles on this segment.

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/89677935 - 8 miles - 1 hr 15 minutes

We said goodbye to five of our runners and six of us carried on for a final run north for a 3 mile loop. We ran a good pace on this one as well, experiencing a few hills along the way.  When we came back, Uhde was still there, chatting with Katie's and Michelle's husbands - if he was going to hang around for that long, he should have just run 3 more miles with us!

I'm not sure if I was just feeling well today but I can honestly state that I felt the same level of tiredness at mile 20 that I felt at mile 3. I know that sounds weird but it's true. I think maybe I'm beginning to get in shape :o)

http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/89678313 - 3 miles - 25 minutes

Thanks to Jen Paul for bringing some awesome varieties of Gu gel packets - she even left a bunch for us after finishing her 8 mile run - how sweet of her.

Total distance - 21 miles - a little over 3 hrs of running :o)

Our good friend John O'Brien knocked out over 36 miles in the 24 hr run in Eldridge this weekend - more than 15 miles than what we accomplished today :o)

Rick and I are taking tomorrow off from running because we'll be playing some intense basketball tomorrow night - I can't wait!

Until my next post, have a great day! DIG DEEP!


No comments: